Interview questions for obtaining a green card can be really tricky and are good enough to keep you on your toes. This card is nothing but a permanent resident card for getting citizenship in USA. It is green in color, hence the name. Scroll down to know more about the questions asked before granting US citizenship.
Leaving your country and migrating to another is a tough ask. To add to the agony, you have to go through your country's immigration formalities and answer the immigration officers of the country you are migrating to. Consequently, it is a lengthy process and you cannot avoid anything that is involved in that process. All in all, it is a stressful period to go through the immigration interview and the whole process. Those who are citizens of other countries and want to immigrate to the USA have to go through the grind of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services officials. It is a tiring process. But still, if you are preparing for your green card (US permanent resident card) interview and are all flustered and confused about how will it go, do not worry, here are some questions you can prepare for.
Common Questions in Green Card Interview
Interview Questions for Green Card
- What are the colors of the American flag?
- What do the stars on the American flag epitomize?
- The Union comprises how many states?
- What does the date 4th of July signify?
- Name the first President of the United States?
- Who is the present President of the United States?
- Name the current vice-president of the United States?
- Who has the power to elect the President of the United States?
- Describe Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Explain one benefit as to why you would like to become a citizen of the United States.
- What is the United States Capitol?
- What is the White House?
- Describe the location of the White House.
- What is the President's official home called?
- Give the names of 2 major political parties in the U.S. today.
These were a few sample questions. Basically, the immigration officers can ask anything under the sun, from your hobbies to test your knowledge about USA. If it is an employment-based green card, then questions will be related to the work permit, the nature of work, and how you got that job. They might ask for a certification from the employer and the like. Therefore you got to be prepared to face any kind of question from the officers. The important thing is to not get nervous, and if you do not know an answer, just be honest about it. Now, there are cases where a non-American citizen marries or is going to marry a US citizen, and then the non-American citizen applies for the green card. Take a look at what questions can be asked by the officers in this situation.
Marriage-based Green Card Interview Questions
- When did you get married?
- What are the things that you and your spouse or fiancee have planned for the future?
- How did you meet your spouse or fiancee?
- How long has it been since you met your spouse or fiancee?
- What is the birthplace and birth date of your spouse?
- What are the hobbies you two enjoy in common?
Other than these, the officers can pop any question related to your life, work, and relationship with your spouse. With regards to marriage-related questions and answers, the officers would expect concrete proof of your marriage, in addition to the answer. Another aspect in relation to the permanent resident card is that of the applicant's parents or a green card holder's parents applying for that. These may include something like since when is your son or daughter in the USA? Or maybe when did he or she acquire American citizenship and what does he or she do there and things like that.
That was a general outline. Apart from this, in case you need to know more, there is always the US consulate site and the USCIS site, where you can get the interview questions. If not that, you will surely get the information as to whom to get in touch with, for clearing doubts.
Ultimately, be calm and relaxed and reach well before time on the interview day and be honest. You are sure to sail through the yanking of the Yankees smoothly!